12.15.2013

Holiday preparation

This had been a blissful weekend.  Friday evening the girls had an event at the church, so Jake and I had a free evening which we spent sharing good conversation over a yummy restaurant dinner (compliments of an early Christmas gift from a beloved elf).  Saturday was my mom's birthday so I spent the afternoon making lemon bars...from scratch..., artisan bread and lasagna.  God decided to send copious amounts of snow for her birthday, so instead of guests, we enjoyed a quiet yummy evening together and topped it off attempting to make a gingerbread house (we dearly dearly missed my artistic sister during that fiasco).

Today, I'm refocusing in finding my joy.  Over dinner, I finally admitted to my husband that the year of my dad's illness and now the roller coaster of grief has changed me.  Unfortunately one of the ways I've changed is that I've lost my joy, my humor.  That is the opposite of my dad's legacy.  Granted, my sweet girls bring me lots of joy, but the ability to be funny has escaped me.

Not so coincidentally, today's scripture and hymns focused a lot on the gifts that are soon to arrive in the form of Christ's birth.  The gift of joy is one of those gifts.  What epic timing!  What good news!  Please join me in praying that this gift will return to me.

This afternoon I am contininuing my preparations for this great day.  I've just finished making the dough for gingerbread cookies (dad's favorite) and now I'm going to join Hazel as she works on her enormous fruit loops garland and watches The Polar Express (a Grandpa Junko classic) for the very first time.  I hope he's smiling every time she whispers "wow".


Excuse the unedited photo.  In an effort to realign my life, I'm allowing myself to write less and use the convenience of my school iPad for these short posts.

2 comments:

  1. Julie, you have had a year no one ever wants to experience, but have come through it all with grace. God will Heal you in his time. I have certainly learned an awful lot about His timing this past year too. Sometime I will share with you my epiphany moment. Here is a tiny kernel of what I learned: When God gives you sad memories, He really does not want you to live in the sadness, but to discover what lesson He is teaching you through the memory and through His lesson, to heal. But for now, be patient. Try living in the moment. Just for today, you can allow yourself to smile.<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her garland! Much better than popcorn and cranberries... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)