9.30.2012

Thoreau-ly wonderful day


I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, 
to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau



It is so tempting to keep the nose to the grind stone.  To attack the never ending chores.  To let the kids stay indoors.  Without a scheduled invite, it seems monumental to carve out a chunk of time just for enjoyment.  Yesterday at 9:30am, Jake and I realized that we needed to jump in the car RIGHT NOW or else the day would pass between chores, meals, naps, crabbiness  etc.  We spent 3 hours hiking through the forest, finding hidden gems and enjoying time together.  As we packed our sleeping children back in the car, we couldn't help but congratulate ourselves.  Our kids got to explore, experience, learn names of trees and sounds of animals... no TV show or "educational" toy can compare!




4 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun Julie :) Where did you go??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called the Millionth Acre... State Game Land near Oil Creek. The bridge is on private property bordering the game lands :)

      Delete
  2. Perfect day! i can't wait to go with you sometime to find this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an awesome day!! Great pictures. I suggest you return in a week or two to get pics in the fall colors;)

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)