9.07.2012

not ONE perfect match

As my dad gains strength and chemo side effects have time to heal themselves (fingers crossed), my dad is preparing for the next leg of his AML (acute myeloid leukemia) journey.  A bone marrow transplant.

According to the unscientific data rolling around in my head (ie: sound bites of things I've learned these past few months that a scholarly writer should confirm before writing about), a person's siblings are their best hope for a perfect bone marrow match.  My father is fortunate because he has THREE siblings (crazy, rabbit-like grandparents I have).  Each sibling has about a 25% chance of being a bone marrow match.

After years of meaning to get to that, I also joined the bone marrow donor registry.  The odds of being a match with my dad are about 1:500 (err... remember, not scientific on this blog), but I hope and pray that I get that call someday!  I will RUN to the hospital, perhaps even snubbing the Anesthetist as I joyfully give my healthy bone marrow to a stranger.



Keeping slightly on the subject, I would like to personally thank all of the Pennsylvania tax payers for helping us out and keeping my babies insured over the past 2 years.  I'm THRILLED to announce that I now have a job that provides all of us with great health insurance.  Both the CHIP and the WIC programs helped this family by providing health care for the kids and food for the family.  As a middle class, hard working, educated woman, it's tempting to hide the fact that we accepted public assistance.  However, I want more people to see the faces of those accepting public assistance.  Perhaps I can shift some paradigms by being more vocal and transparent?


To recap:
  •  SIGN UP FOR THE BONE MARROW REGISTRY (I'm not even gonna say please, just DO IT!).  
  • Oh, and as for not ONE perfect match for my dad... NOPE, HE HAS TWO PERFECT MATCHES!  (as for the 4th sibling who is not a match with anyone... uhh... shall we blame the mailman?)



6 comments:

  1. Yay! Two perfect matches sound like heaven! Very happy for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you have a match. We have medicaid too for the baby. Through work it would have cost $600 a month so since it is such a big portion of my income we qualify. Aside from the zero premium the zero co-pay has been nice too! We don't qualify for WIC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it would have cost us per person to be added to my husband's policy. Unbelievable. So glad we had assistance!

      Delete
  3. WOOOHOOOO! Such wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear about his good fortune! Keep up the good fight John! We are all chearing for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to hear that he has a match! SOOOOO happy! My heart just did a little happy dance for your family.

    And congrats again on the new job and all the wonderful things it provides. PA is nothing to be ashamed of at all. I know a few people who were accepting assistance as well and the day they stopped using it, they said they just felt somewhat liberated. So congrats on that too. Just generally happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)