7.02.2012

Rainbow Fish Cake (with SPRINKLES)

I think it's something about July birthdays... they aren't meant to be celebrated just once, but for a whole week... or MONTH!  (My sister, Happy Birthday TOMORROW!, is the MASTER of extending her birthday celebrations... I learned from da best.)

In that spirit, we celebrated Hazel's birthday a week early.  Last week she gave me two torn slips of papers. They were invitations, one for me and one for daddy, to go fishing for her birthday.  "Ah ha!", I thought,  "that is easily done and gets me off the hook for planning a big party with 'ALL my FRENNS' (friends)".  Also, for the past few MONTHS she's been planning her birthday cake:  "pink, purple, blue, orange... ALL DA COLORS and SPRINKLES!"

So, last Friday night, we packed the car for an overnight with my Aunt, Uncle & Cousin who have a cabin in Cooks Forest.  I'll share more pics another day.  There was swimming, kayaking, biking, marshmallows, dutch oven fiascos deliciousness, pancakes with SPRINKLES, wood fire oven PIZZAS, missing tent poles, giant catfish, fishing ponds, books &....

RAINBOW FISH CAKE WITH SPRINKLES!

*puffing out chest*... WHAT DO YOU THINK?  I THINK I NAILED IT! *proud face*

Once again, I give all the credit to other awesomely creative folks who I found via Pinterest.  HERE was my inspiration for the rainbow cake and HERE was my inspiration for the fishing poles.

It was a little time consuming (because I only had one pan), but a lot of fun and DEFINITELY worth it!

Here's the nitty gritty.  (disclaimer: this isn't a cooking blog, so I'll just give an overview)

1.  Make the recipe on the back of the Pillsbury Softasilk Cake Flour box.
   *If I did it again, I'd make a double batch.  It'd be a really tall cake, but the layers would be thicker


2.  Divide the batter equally into 6 bowls.
3.  Color the rainbow using Betty Crocker Gel Food Coloring (play with your red, orange and purple  
     FOREVER until you decide to stop being a perfectionist)
4.  Bake each cake in a 9" pan (I used a spring form pan).  Grease and flour the pan each time!  Bake at  
     350 degrees for 10 min.  Set on cooling rack for 5 min.  Using a plastic or rubber knife, loosen from pan 
     and flip cake layer onto cooling rack.
5.  Let each layer cool for about 15 minutes (till cool to touch).  Then begin stacking with a layer of 
     strawberry jam in between.  Any filling will do, I just happened to have made my first batch of homemade   
     strawberry jam this week.  WHO AM I?


6.  I had to make this cake 2 days in advanced.  So, I decided to do a crumb coat to help seal in the    
     moisture.  It's basically just a watered down icing layer that glides on thinly and contains all your crumbs.  
     Mine ended up more like a glaze (a key lime glaze... 'cause I'm too fancy to have lemon juice.)


7.  Ice and cover with about 1/3- 1/2 cup of sprinkles!  Due to time constraints, I went with pre-made lemon    
     icing.  


8.  For the fishing poles, simply take bamboo skewers, wrap one end of thread around one end (wrap it at   
     least 5 times before knotting), wrap the other end around the head of a swedish fish, and ker-plunk your  
     stick into the cake!  I also tied a few gummy worms on for bait :)  YUM!


Everyone always says that you learn a lot about yourself through parenting.  It's true.  I never knew how much I would enjoy making special birthday cakes and decorations.  I have LOTS more rainbow fish plans for Hazel's birthday WEEK... stay tuned!

Until then, I'll be polishing off the rest of this edible masterpiece :)  (humility is not my strong point)


9 comments:

  1. OMG, I LOVE THIS! I'm totally making it! Maybe a late bday cake for myself?! :) And I LOVE sprinkles so this is perfect, lol. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's the best birthday cake ever (next to the owl cake of course;)!! Nice work Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I pinned that too... yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie you crack me up.. this is incredible!
    Becky Best

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! So cute and your daughter is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christie! BTW, I still need your address to send you the Monet Crayon Roll! I'd send it via my sister... but you know how she is about packages ;)

      Delete
  6. It tasted as good as it looks, too! Absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is yummy!!!!!! might make

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)