2.22.2012

Taste of SUMMER

It's mid-February and though it's been a mild winter, there is a dusting of snow on the ground, most of our time is spent INDOORS and fresh produce has traveled hundreds or thousands of miles to get to my plate.

It's mid-February and I have CABIN FEVER.  I don't want to eat soup or snuggle under a pile of blankets.  I want to have a picnic, go for a leisurely walk in the woods wearing only flip flops (oh, shorts and a tank top too... of course) and PICK BERRIES (here and here).

Now, I am NOT the homemaker GODDESS that I aim to be.  My pantry is not stocked full of things I've "put up".  In fact, I did not can one darn thing last summer.  Here's hoping I do better this summer!  Hubs is nearing completion of his greenhouse and has some grandiose plans for his garden/farm, so seriously, I'd better make use of all the delicious, organic, free-ish food he provides.

I do much  slightly better with plain ole freezing.  Last night I volunteered to provide a dessert for a dinner with friends tonight, but will not have a chance to go to the grocery store before dinner.  So, I opened my freezer and dug around until I found the last bag of rhubarb from my father's patch.

Yes, it's mid-February and tonight, I will TASTE SUMMER!  I even threw in a few strawberries that were wilting in our fridge after my hubs bought an unappreciated treat for our girls.
Like most delicious foods, this dish is not photogenic!

RHUBARB + STRAWBERRIES = SUMMER.  Now that is math that I truly understand!

Here is my favorite rhubarb recipe:  Rhubarb Squares
Crust:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter

Filling:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (I used 2 cups rhubarb, 1 cup strawberries.  Mix and match to your hearts content!)

Combine flour & powdered sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into the bottom of a greased 11-inch x 7-inch x 2-inch baking pan (my pan is MIA, so I used a pie plate... you can't mess up this recipe). Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes. For filling, combine first four ingredients. Stir in rhubarb; pour over warm crust. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm if desired. Store in refrigerator.


********************************************************************************
Now, I don't mean to be going for the longest post ever award, however I want to pay-it-forward today since a sweet blogger is sending me a free book simply because I simply have no extra funds to buy nice things for myself.  


A few years ago, farmer (sometimes referred to as "hubs" or "Jake" or not-appropriate-to-admit-publicly) and I received TWO copies of this book for Christmas.  When we he DOES can, this book has been invaluable.  Instead of continuing to keep this book in my "potential gifts" box, I want to give it to one of my readers.  Simply because I love blogging and LOVE that someone reads what I write (ie endless tales about my girls...what did I write about before them?). 


I only have one extra book and am only willing to spring for shipping to the US and Canada.  I will choose da winner on March 1st via random.org...yada yada yada.


If you live abroad, feel free to leave a comment with your email (so I can get your real address) and I will mail EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU a personal card... much more affordable shipping and at least you get some real mail :) 


So, to win, please leave a comment telling me how you access my blog.  Do you read via Google Friend Connect, Facebook, frequent Google searches (my stats tell me this happens a lot), through a link on someone else's blog, through a bookmark, through facebook, via your email...  Also, make sure I have a way of getting in touch of you if you win!  


Summer lovin',
~julie


WINNER:  #3  Congratulations to MO Kasch!  You are a winner :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jules! I read through email, checking your blog, and the link through my blog, Marianne's and Shayne's. I would LOVE this book and I'll pull the sick card and puppy eyes :(

    We'd love to can our own garden one day and produce we pick in the summer at some of our favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOOOOOOOO! Canning!

    I'm so intrigued by this and I kind of want to learn how to do it (even though I'm sure my hubs will tell me I'm crazy!).

    C'mon random.org! PICK ME!

    Oh and I access your blog via my bookmarks :) I forget how I found you originally (probably your facebook page) but you're dutifully saved as a "favorite" on my computer. And I maybe have memorized your blog address too...

    What can I say? I'm an internet stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stalk you every day. You're in my favorites. Because you're my favorite (and only) sister.
    If I win, I'm passing this book on to my cousin with a messed up neck. I hope I win it for her. I have this book already and LOVE IT! The rhubarb apple chutney in it is delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't canned since we had our big garden in Johnstown, but I was just looking at my jars and all of the paraphernalia (thank you, spell check!) and thinking of starting again. I have your blog stored on my "favorites," but I also sometimes access it through Facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)