11.29.2011

keeping the Christmas spirit

So, I'm stressed about Christmas.  Not over-the-top stressed, just stressed enough to make my hubby a little crazy as I constantly talk about... GIFT RECEIVING.

My kids are so lucky to have 3 sets of loving/doting/generous grandparents.  They really do a great job of checking in with us to buy things we like and/or the kids would like (since those two things are often different.  exhibits A-Z:  any toy that makes noise!).  So what could I possibly worry about?  I admit, it's RIDICULOUS!

With that disclaimer being said, here they are:

1.  Will my kids grow up feeling less excited for our family Christmas morning since we can't do as much?
2.  Will my kids appreciate their gifts?  I wish I could just give them one gift a day for a month (or three) instead of overloading them all at once.
3.  WHAT ABOUT SANTA?  What makes Santa's gifts exciting if, as they say, the best is yet to come?  We plan to "let" Santa give each girl one big gift and possibly a stocking.

Ho Ho Hum... I know I'm not alone in these concerns, ridiculous as they may be.  What are your thoughts?  How do you handle the Christmas receiving in your family?

*Note to my mom, smother-in-law & mother-in-law:  Thanks for always checking in with me about gifts.  You couldn't be more understanding and receptive to our concerns!  So, this post is by no means a complaint... just a young mama trying to sort out her feelings.  Love you!

*What about the true meaning of Christmas?  I feel like we've got that pretty well covered!  On Saint Nicholas Day, the girls will be boxing up their under-used toys to give to kids who will appreciate them.  We will also attend Christmas Eve church and be throwing a birthday party for Jesus on Christmas Day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my...I know how you feel! I worried so much during the first four Christmases---until I sat down with Todd and we figured out exactly how we wanted "our" holiday to look.

    Since we don't really do Santa, my biggest concern was Christmas at our house (which we wanted to be simple) versus Christmas at Grandma's house (where she sold her soul to the devil at Toys R Us each year!) Juli's fourth Christmas, I practically gave myself a coronary. I had gone shopping with my mom, who promptly bought all the things I was planning to buy to give Juli. On Christmas morning, I cried to myself in the bathroom because the only gift I gave my daughter was a small Little People doll. (Isn't that sad?!) It was after that that I developed my super-secret-somewhat-selfish strategy. Here it is:

    When Christmas rolls around, Todd and I know what each child wants more than anything. We only give each child a few packages (plus a stocking of a few treats) to open on Christmas morning---but we feel better knowing that we're giving them something they're dying for. This year, Juli's getting a pottery wheel, and Micah's getting a set of bongo drums.

    After I have my super-awesome gifts purchased and in my home, only then do I help other people purchase gifts. I know how selfish this sounds---but it really has made me feel better about only being able to buy a few things for the kids.

    I hear what you say about wishing you could spread it out over a whole month. When Juli was three and four, it was extremely overwhelming for her to have so many things to open. My mom used to drive me nuts with how much she would buy for Juli (the only grandchild). Even though I encourage her to spend less, I try to respect her feelings of wanting to give my kids the moon. (Very hard for me, but I try.)

    I'm so glad for you that you have people in your life who are thoughtful in their gift-giving. Sorry for the super-long comment. I'm just extremely empathetic about trying to figure out the gift-giving stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We, too, plan to give Logan (and future Welms babies) the sense of "charity" in donating toys. Trying to decide if he is old enough to 'get' it this year.

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)