10.23.2011

the FRUGAL GREEN MAMA AWARD!

So, it probably breaks all kinds of rules, but I'm making up an award and giving it to... MYSELF :)

The FRUGAL & GREEN MAMA AWARD goes to ME because I just made two mega batches of baby food.  That is cool in and of itself, but not the reason I won this award.  No, I won this prestigious award because I made FIVE POUNDS OF ORGANIC CARROTS into baby food!  Not sure I deserve the award?  How 'bout this... I got those carrots for ONE DOLLAR!  (my local Giant Eagle marks down produce that needs to be eaten pronto and I happened to be walking by right when they were resupplying the clearance section.  Clearance fruit and veggies... sounds kinda gross when I put it that way.)

Let's review:  5 pounds of organic carrot baby food for $1.  Boo Yah!

I baked the carrots instead of steaming them.  Worked great!  I almost awarded myself "THE WEIRDEST PICTURE AWARD" today.... hmmm... day is not over....

The 2nd batch of baby food?  Oh my.  One of those: WHAT WAS I THINKING moments? Our local farm stand closed last Tuesday and I panicked!  I drove down on Monday and bought THREE ENORMOUS cauliflowers ($2.50 each).  Oh my.  There was a lot of chopping, steaming, blender breaking/ food processor breaking/ falling in love with my mom's Vita-Mix 3600 (which she might have to sneak into my house and steal back 'cause I have no intention of returning it ;).  And then I discovered that you shouldn't feed cauliflower to your baby until they are 10 months old (Heidi hits 7 months this week).  Oh my.



I strongly believe that every mother needs the book:  Super Baby Foods.  I didn't make all of Hazel's food and don't intend to make all of Heidi's, but I make a lot of it and I feel so good about it!  Now that I babysit 3 toddlers throughout the week (not all at the same time!), I've seen that Hazel's diet is much more diverse than the average toddlers.  I'm sure I can't give complete credit to that book... I'd like some credit too... however, she is a great eater and I followed the recommendations of what to feed/ how to prepare/ when to introduce which foods/ etc. from Super Baby Foods.  Can't be all coincidence!

And so, to you I say "have a green day".

4 comments:

  1. I second your nomination for these awards (that makes it official right?)! :) nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, as the oldest daughter, I think i get first dibs on Mom's stuff.
    ;-)
    Just kidding. You get it. Like you got my microwave, rug, AND fridge when you went to college. Proximity does have its advantages.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie!

    I love your site! Mike and I are currently trying to add to our human family (our pet family is large enough!) So you can bet I will be looking for tips on how to be a "lazy green mama". I also wondered if you have ever heard of Juice Plus, I was introduced to it here in NE and am a big fan! We get 17 fruits and veggies every day because they are juiced and dried into a capsule! Let me know if you want more info!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)