7.08.2011

cock-a-doodle-TWO

As I sit to write this, I'm flooded with the memories of what was occurring at exactly this time (time zone change ignored) two years ago.  This year, instead of yelling "Jake... I'm leaking!" (when my water broke and flooded my hallway) and starting a whirlwind 8 hours of labor... I'm sitting in my own home, on my own land, with my own toddler asleep in her bed AND my own newborn at my breast.  I have arrived.  This is what life is all about.

In essence, this blog is a constant love letter to my children.  I write this journal to augment my memory of life and as something tangible (er...electronically) that they can come back to time and again when they want to connect with their childhoods.

So though today is Hazel's SECOND BIRTHDAY (side note, I'm writing this the night before.  just to clear up any confusion for you observant readers), I don't feel the need to regale you with her milestone achievements.  Instead, how bout a few picks?  That's what you're hoping for anyway :)

One year ago:  a happy baby

Today:  a coy toddler who understands almost everything but can't seem to say any more than the 1st letter of each word.

A toddler who believes that if she hides behind curtains or SIMPLY CLOSES HER EYES, her mama can't see her and therefore will get that dang camera out of her face.  (she also does this if she expects me to tell her to stop doing something... BAM she disappears and I have to search the whole house for her... commence giggling which DUH totally gives her location away)

A little girl who at times looks like the baby I remember and at other times (below) looks like a girl.  A real kid!  Huh, whodda thunk?

A big sister who loves "Heis" with her whole heart... even if she's spent the past week in near constant time-outs due to acts of violence against her "bb".  (the photo below is a prime example of how Hazel reacts once the "annoying" camera gives up and goes after a different subject!  suddenly, she wants to be in each frame!)

Oh man I love this girl.  I'm the luckiest person in the whole world.  For now, I get her snuggles, her kisses, her tears, her giggles.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAZEL MARI!


*I took these pics last week at the park where we're throwing Hazel's play date party on Saturday (an informal, no gifts, time to play with (gasp) other kids, a chance to share some birthday cake).  The theme is cock-a-doodle-TWO.  Perfect for a girl who loves her chickens!  Perfect for a mama who thinks it's hilarious to hide naughty words on toddler invitations!

**Yup, same dress.  It IS her birthday dress made by a crafter in Oregon.  Last year it was a dress, this year it's a tunic, next year it will be a shirt.  Hey, if you pay for quality handmade clothing, best get some use out of it!  The crafter convinced me of this piece's worth once she explained that it's made for at LEAST 3 years of use!  Just need to fix the elastic on the pocket... don't hold your breath :)

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Hazel! We love you so much!
    love, Aunt Marianne, Uncle Christoph, and Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Hazel!

    Julie - I can't believe how much she has grown!! And those CURLS...gorgeous!! she must have gotten that hair from the Orris side :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Hazel Mari!! You are a sweet toddler who everyone loves to hang out with!! Enjoy your play date and CAKE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Hazel! Such a beautiful little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your little one, and Happy Birthday to you...you have made it two years and are raising such a beautiful little girl-go on and celebrate with her-you've earned it!

    Sooooo stinkin' funny about the birthday invites. I just finished building our hen house and am determined to add a sign that reads, "Any Cockle Do" Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Hazel!

    Love the pictures to show how much she has grown and changed. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bon anniversaire, Hazel! Je suis a Paris avec ta grandmere, Llama, et ton grandpere, Junko!

    Je t'aime, mon petit grand-niece!

    A bientot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I love that girl too. Two years old. What a gift in my life. How fun to watch her grow into the beautiful woman that I KNOW she will be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, I love that girl too. ANd...Yeah,...what Arkadangling said...(I'm sure). Happy Birthday, little Hazel. We love you forever...Llama and Junko

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Hazel! Don't they grow up so fast!!??

    My boys are 18 months apart. They have had their fair share of time outs for committing acts of violence against one another! Finally they are getting to that brotherly love stage. Phew - I thought it would never come!

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)