5.27.2011

oil cloth

Last spring I recovered the seats of my dining room chairs.  I live in Po-dunk Ville and our JoAnn Fabric store offers teddy bears, gingham & camo.  Period.  I lean towards avocado and lime green accents in my living room and yellow in my kitchen (that's the plan though there is currently NO yellow there).  The dining room table is part of both rooms due to our open floor plan.  So, I chose a fabric that incorporated both yellow and green and stapled it onto my seats.

My sister immediately grimaced at my choice while I insisted it was retro cool.  Jake also grimaced because the flower print also included pink.  For a year I've stared at this fabric that I only sorta-kinda like.  For a year my baby has grown into a toddler and climbed on these chairs, dropped food on these chairs (yeah, I'm gonna blame it on her), ground play dough into these chairs, wiped boogies onto these chairs (ditto, totally all her).  PLUS, the chair padding was at its prime back when Jake's dad was a kid.  Now this bony-butted family fidgets uncomfortably during a long dinner.

So, it's time for Round #2 of Julie versus dining room chairs.  This time they will NOT win!  I am refinishing the table, chairs, buffet table, and that china hutch turned TV cabinet that I featured months ago.  I AM going to do this.  I don't think anyone believes me.  My plan is to refinish the wood on the top of the table and buffet with a dark stain while painting everything else a crisp, glossy white (kinda like my new blog design!). 

Picture white wooden chairs with a thick padded seat covered in oil cloth or laminated cotton.  Ah, sounds heavenly!  Since I'm being extra cautious this time around, I'm doing my research and shopping online for fabric.  What do you think of this?: 

The green is a little more pastel than I would prefer, but I like the lemon-like flowers and it's the best option I've found so far.  

Also, any insight on the best way to pad chairs?

3 comments:

  1. You forgot John Deere. Lots of John Deere fabric at the local fabric stores. Have you looked at Fabric dot com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. I hate. Repeat- hate- the fabric you have right now. (Strong, huh? And I thought I was hiding it before, but apparently you saw that grimace. It looked like you stole it from Grandma's old camper. . . which fits the era of the chairs- which made it doubly-bad.)
    I like your new ideas A LOT! I also like it when people paint the bottoms of tables and the chairs. You could go with white- or green with this fabric.
    Nice choice, sistah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric choice!! (But that's not surprising... ;) sounds like a fun project!! I never noticed the old fabric as ugly... Btw feel free to give me input in my apt when you stay there!

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)