5.08.2011

The best 4 letter word... Mama!

With a baby sleeping on my chest and a toddler sitting at my feet, I can't help but relish the sweetness of this Mother's Day.

Folks always say that "you never understand how much your mother loves you until you're a mother".  That was not a profound reflection for me... until I became a mother.  Now the truth of that statement hits a strong chord.  I always knew that my mother loves and adores me (my husband can't get over how she can be so excited to see/ hear from me EVERY TIME... even multiple times a day), but now I get it.

The thing about motherhood is that your kids are the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD.  To say that I would do anything for my girls is not comprehensive enough.  To say that I would sacrifice my life for them doesn't describe their importance enough.  To say that I LOVE and ADORE them is true, but I want a new word... a word not used to describe flippant romances.

The ironic thing is you raise your kids so that they grow to be independent.  (pause... Hazel just walked over and asked for a "huggie").   My dream for them is to grow into adulthood and create their own families (unless they choose a different adult path).  So being a mother means that you WANT to take 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) place in the life of your #1!

So to my #2 (I count Jake, Hazel & Heidi as a group), HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!  I love and adore you and can not say THANK YOU enough.

To my #1, thank you for making me a mama.  The greatest thing that has ever happened to me.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree---being a mama is the best.

    Love your thoughts on independence and adulthood. Enabling a child to stand on their own is one of a mom's greatest accomplishments. And to graciously want them to find loves of their own beyond you---such a wonderful dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my daughter, I love you more than you can know. Or maybe you're beginning to realize :) Llama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother's Day! I agree that there aren't words to describe the feeling of singing your little one to sleep or snuggling them when they have a boo boo. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)