12.01.2010

SNOW DAY!

Today is not actually a snow day.  Though it would be if we were in Oregon.  Then I'd be sipping a Dutch Bros Vanilla Latte... ooo... major craving.

Today IS the first day of December and our first true snow.



 Today is also the first day on our ADVENT calendar.  (note:  Sunday was the first day of Advent, but the calendars typically have 25 days on them, so December 1st is the unofficial first day of Advent). 

now, I'm not one to brag (or am I?), but I have the coolest Advent calendar.  I've blogged about it before, but I love it SO much that it'll probably be mentioned every Advent season!  My sister made it out of thick felt.  Each day has a pocket that I will be stuffing dried fruits/cookies/chocolates into.  This year I hung it along our staircase.  Each time Hazel and I walk along it, I can teach her a little about preparing for Christmas/ Jesus' birth.  This morning we counted the days till Jesus' birthday and Hazel found 3 dried cherries in pocket #1.  She is very impatient for pocket #2!

Today is also a day off for Hazel and I since I called in sick to deal with this cold/sinus infection/migraine.  I am now a card carrying member (not really) of the Neti Pot fan club!  Sweet relief!

This morning, as soon as it was light enough to see out the window, I carried Hazel over to show her "SNOW".  She waved "hello".  Then, about 2 hours later as I was indulging in the time to read my favorite blogs, I glanced over at Hazel ...who was sitting in a pile of coats, boots, hats and gloves.  Subtle.

there's a snow angel if I've ever seen one!
(note:  as soon as we walked out the doors, she threw the gloves on the ground.  Which reminds me, I need to go retrieve them!)

And since no one loves a crying sequence more than my family, here's what happened right after the above photo:
1.  Stumble and catch self with hands
2.  Distract self by exploring the white flakes that are stuck to fingers
3.  Realize that the white stuff is REALLY REALLY COLD
4.  Realize that Mama is taking pictures and laughing and not coming to the rescue!


9 comments:

  1. Love it! I need to get back into my blogging. I think the last one I did was in August! We also had snow play before preschool. I have never seen Gavin get dressed so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That Advent Calendar looks AWESOME on that gray wall! I've got to put mine up tonight. . . I think I finally found enough 'wall' to do it.
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I am envious of your Advent calendar. It would be wonderful if someone in Alaska made them for an Etsy shop, so I could go purchase one...

    2. Love the snow pictures! She is so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I LOVE that Advent Calendar. I'm going to HAVE to make one now, and it's all I'm going to think about until I do! (Darn you graduate school!!)

    2. Hopefully your Neti Pot will get you back in singing shape by Sunday! My "Snot Pot" basically cured my allergies, this fall. I always forget about it until I'm desperate, though...

    3. Filbert is super cute-- even when she's crying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Neti pot is the absolute best thing ever! I love it, and use it whenever I feel stuffed up - it did keep me from getting an ear infection (however, I got bronchitis instead).

    Hazel is getting so big, we have to visit again soon:) And I am laughing at you laughing at your daughter! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA! I love it! Hazel is adorable, as always. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha!! I love the sequence!! I actually thought to myself - she isn't wearing gloves?! I guess she figured it out!! Cutest snow angel I've ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sigh* what is it about our child's fit/crying this is so flipping hilarious?

    Maybe it's our payback for the long sleepless nights as newborns? Or the fact that when you look away for a second, they're suddenly standing on top of the bookshelf thinking about jumping off? OK that second one hasn't happened to me yet, but I KNOW IT WILL!

    As parents, we have to laugh at our kids as much as we can... it's our duty.

    Plus Hazel IS adorable when she looks distressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is the CUTEST little bundle... they seem to like the cold wet stuff for about, oh 5 minutes and then they are done!

    Cannot believe all your snow... just a sprinkling here!

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)