12.23.2010

Christmas reflections

This year I have been uber excited for the approaching Christmas holiday.  Perhaps it's because I sing in a community choir and have been practicing Christmas music since September.  Perhaps it's because I have a wee one to share it with who although doesn't understand about the wonderful Christmas Eve church service or the presents hidden in closets or the relatives preparing their visits, still loves standing and staring at the Christmas tree, looking at nativities, and finding treats in her Advent calendar.  Perhaps it's because this is our first Christmas in OUR house with OUR traditions being created.

I wish I could claim that I haven't had my Grinch-ish moments, but until I learn to be OK with giving gifts within my budget, I will struggle with the want to give nice gifts and the guilt of spending outside of my budget.  I love hosting company, but struggle with the desire for a cleaner, more organized house full of delicious gourmet treats.  (why doesn't Santa leave House Elves... you know, Harry Potter style?)

However, all in all, the magic of this season is not wasted on me.  Below is a poem my cousin, Kathe, sent me this morning.  It brought me a bit more of those warm fuzzy Christmas feelings and I hope it brings some to you.  If not, I've got you covered:  Later today, I plan to get my hands on my sister's camera and post a picture of Hazel kissing her baby cousin.  SO sweet!


Noėl
by Anne Porter

When snow is shaken
From the balsam trees
And they're cut down
And brought into our houses

When clustered sparks
Of many-colored fire
Appear at night
In ordinary windows

We hear and sing
The customary carols
They bring us ragged miracles
And hay and candles
And flowering weeds of poetry
That are loved all the more
Because they are so common
But there are carols
That carry phrases

Of the haunting music
Of the other world
A music wild and dangerous
As a prophet's message

Or the fresh truth of children
Who though they come to us
From our own bodies
Are altogether new
With their small limbs
And birdlike voices

They look at us
With their clear eyes
And ask the piercing questions
God alone can answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)