1.04.2010

DInner conversations

Last night we were invited to the home of one of Jake's coworkers for dinner. I always look forward to going to someone's house for dinner because I love food and conversation. This couple was a HOOT, the wife is a cake decorator and I sampled my way through her repertoire of the most gorgeous cakes. My brain was intrigued, my face was smiling, and my belly was s t r e t c h i n g.

It's something that few people do, share a home-cooked meal together (or even go to a restaurant together!). Over the past 3 years, we've been invited to approximately 15 people's homes. About 12 of those couples are the same age as our parents. I'm worried that my generation doesn't see the value in sharing a meal. Perhaps it's because young couples are busy with tiny tikes, new careers, new homes and extended family obligations. But I think it's often perceived as one more "to do" on our never ending lists. Inviting someone over involves cleaning the house (though not everyone does this and that's ok), making a nice meal, cleaning, and carrying a conversation. It sounds a little daunting. Especially if you're inviting over someone you hardly know (which has often been the case for Jake and I).

Once I move into my own home, I want to be diligent about this. I want to invite over old friends (I owe my dear friend Ty so many dinners that I think I'll ask him to move in with us for a month), but I also want to invite over people I hardly know.

OR vs PA: Before we left Oregon, we were invited over to 3 homes in which the dinner conversation focused on the scary state of our country/government and the importance of being prepared with guns for when THE MAN comes to take our arms away. Last night, the conversation briefly touched upon how smokin' hot our President is and how excitingly wonderful it is to be living in this country right now. I rarely give my opinion and enjoy hearing all perspectives... but once again I am reminded that PA is where I belong :)

3 comments:

  1. I (heart) dinner with friends.

    Christoph and I did it about three times a week in Berlin, either at our place, theirs, or meeting in a restaurant. No matter what, it was always filled with great conversation, an occasional board game, and lots of laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I really appreciated dinner with friends when we lived in Saudi Arabia. WE had no phones, no t.v.s...Friends were our social life. It was wonderful. Conversation IS an art..and one that isn't well developed these days of isolation in our living rooms. I too feel blessed that my parents often had dinner guests over. Sometimes they were my friends that they invited for themselves. Age didn't seem to matter. It's a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have to wonder though - maybe the conversation is lighter and the calendar is more full in PA because you're in a small town surrounded by lots of people who are from the area? That definitely helps.

    Oregon seems a little odd to me. People there weren't as friendly as they were in Washington, I didn't think. But it's hard for me to gauge, coming from the South where everyone is RETARDEDLY nice all the time. At least to your face.

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)