2.22.2009

Practically perfect in every way.

For those of you that instantly recognized the title as a quote from Mary Poppins, you win 100 bonus points. For the rest of you, SHAME! Last weekend Jake and I embarked on our version of a babymoon. We took our bad ass mountaineering tent (discussed in old post) up the mountain where at least 5 feet of snow awaited. I have slept in an igloo (ghetto kosker style homemade igloo), slept in Adirondack shelters, and in warming huts every winter since I've been with Jake. However, this was my first tenting experience and it was by far my favorite! This is also the first time I had a thermarest AND a foam pad... perfection!

Oh, why the Mary Poppins reference? One our bushwhacking snowshoe excursion (in which preggo J-ROK thought her legs were going to detach at the pelvis), I looked around and realized that I was walking atop a CLOUD of snow. As a little (practically perfect) girl, I was SO envious of the opening scene of the movie when M.P. is sitting on a cloud, admiring her reflection, and making sure her umbrella doesn't fall through the cloud. As an adult, I think about how badly I want to do this every time I'm in an airplane hovering over the clouds (as soon as the plane descends into the clouds and I see how widely dispersed the vapors are, I change my mind).
Here are a few pics from our trip. Remember that this is ON TOP of 5 or 6 or more feet of snow. So what looks like baby trees are actually full grown and what looks like a full grown tree is an Oregon monster tree!
Getting ready for the backpack in.
Our cozy home among giants
Walkin on frozen CO2
Jake with 3-fingered Jack Mt. in the distance.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a ton of fun! I love your Mary Poppins reference! Definately one of my all time favorite movies. Those pictures are great! Where did you guys hike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I picked up on the title right off. It helps to have kids, too. Disney movies are my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, my practically perfect girl, are sooooo a perfect match for our boy Jake!! You are up for (almost) every adventure he can think up..lol. I am so happy for you guys and can't wait to hear about all the adventures over the yrs you guys can think up to do with kids... No boring long car drives for your little clan!! Your kids are gonna have some amazing memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I had an awesome weekend, I'm really jealous of yours. It looks like you guys had soo much fun. That's funny your due date moved up cause mine moved back to the 13. We just keep missing each other by a day. Close enough, I guess :) Are you going to find out what you're having?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really great weekend! Maybe we can do something similar when we're over there in a few weeks.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snowshoeing rules and it's much harder than it looks. Looks like you had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)