9.21.2008

cock-a-doodle-doo

You may remember the posting a few weeks ago entitled "Uh, Thanks?". Well, though I still prefer to think of the miniature plastic rooster cups as fertility cups as my dad suggested, here is a tale about their real use.

For my birthday, I wanted to go on a car camping trip. For those of you that don't know the difference, car camping is when you load up your car with a cooler, camp kitchen (probably only if you're married to my husband), pillows from your bed, chairs, etc. You go to a campground that has running water and pay a small fee to have your own piece of land with a picnic table. The other type of camping involves carrying your gear on your back and walking to a primitive site in the woods... no cooler, no pillows, no picnic table. I love them both, but sometimes I crave posh camping.

We invited our new friends, JP and Brit, and headed to the Columbia Gorge. We shared meal duty and the Koskers were in charge of Saturday morning breakfast. In the spirit of missing my sister and wanting to try out my favorite birthday gift, Jake and I prepared a German breakfast (please note the table cloth- I thought it was a classy and authentic touch). We served baguette with meat, cheese, fruit, tea in our German tea pot (I don't want to get JP and Brit in trouble with the LDS patrol- they did not drink our caffeinated devil tea ;), and SOFT BOILED EGGS! That is what the rooster cups are for.

What is a soft boiled egg you ask Uncle Sam? Here is my sister's recipe- I did not get her permission to share this with the World Wide Web, so if you ever use or distribute this recipe, please send her $100 yen.

"How to eat German soft-boiled eggs"

1. With a disinfected thumbtack, make a small hole in the big end of a raw egg.

2. Boil the egg for 4 minutes. The yolk will be runny, but warm.

3. Place the egg, hole up, in an egg cup. (shot glasses work)

4. Cover with egg warmer until ready to eat (you losers probably don't have egg warmers- we were given these for Christmas... I said it before and I'll say it again- Germans are obsessed with eggs!)

5. To eat, crack top off egg and scoop egg out with a small spoon. Add salt and pepper.

6. Enjoy with toast!



closing remarks: which of my readers thought that this post was going to be about penises?

7 comments:

  1. 1. if i had actually read the post title, i'd be the reader that thought this would be about penises. but, i tend to skip that part, don't ask why.

    2. i hate that jp and brittany have already played with you guys about as much as they did with us EVER. you must be significantly cooler.

    3. i absolutely hate eggs. if i make these, you'll have to pay ME $100 (dollars, not yen, please).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. even though you didn't read the title, I still got you to think about penises... that makes me happy.

    2. I'm perfectly fine with you assuming that we are cool, however your forgetting the "new to Oregon- don't know anyone- low qualifications needed" criteria that JP and Brit used when deciding to go camping with us.

    3. you hate eggs? that is wierd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay.
    The sister's critique:
    1. If you use this recipe, I'd prefer $100, not 100yen. $100yen doesn't make sense, JROK! ;-)
    2. Using a baguette for breakfast is, well, french- not german. And even the French prefer croissants. . . but okay- same continent so kudos to you two for trying.

    It sounds like a really fun time. I'm impressed with your creativity and thoughtfulness. I'd eat this breakfast anytime! Actually, I think I'll go do it right now. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah- boil it 4 minutes for a s/m egg. These ones look like they were l/xl. Then, I'd go at least 5.5- 6 min.
    How did you like them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We LOVED them, but you're right- some of the eggs were undercooked. Luckily, Jake had made extras. Now we know and will be expert egg boilers. Oh, the french clearly have the dynasty on breads... too bad you didn't marry a french guy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm...so Julie...YOU coulda married the Frenchman! Jacque KosKER.

    You're sick, sick, sick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun birthday weekend! I'm am very envious of both your egg warmers and egg holders. However, I'm not sure how I feel about soft boiled eggs... but I'll have to try them sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I L.O.V.E. comments! Thanks for taking a walk on the (koskersidle)WILD side :)